Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Chapter 212 - Exams
So I've had 3 papers over the last 26 hours.

Worth noting was my Geology paper this morning. I forced myself out of bed this morning an hour earlier (my mother will testify to how hard this normally is), so that I could get a proper breakfast, a cup of coffee, and cram in some last minute revision. It was a nice relaxed atmosphere going into the exam hall.

When the examiner told us to begin, we flipped the question papers over, and almost immediately, 20 hands shot up into the air - mine included. It appears that they've given us the wrong paper! I had a shock when I saw essay questions on lithospheric stretching model in Section 1B, which is normally palaeontology. Thinking that I had forgotten to revise some topics, i read on only to find nothing about palaeontology! Good thing everyone realised that. So while we were all panicking over what was gonna happen while the examiner tried to sort things out, everyone was at ease. I found it rather amusing actually, the sight of hands shooting up into the air at the start...

And then we were told that it was the CORRECT paper and that was what we were to be expecting! Hmm. It appears that was something NONE OF US knew about. But what can we do, but to carry on with the paper. I must say I was slightly relieved, because I hadn't studied very hard for the paper (suitcase was exploding!), so to find that I was somewhat on equal footing with everyone else was kinda comforting. Also, I was fairly impressed with the amount of stuff I could remember from revision a week ago - so in the end, though none of us were prepared for the paper, it didn't turn out too bad for me I think.

At the end of the exam, the examiner tried to clarify things, saying that there was never a distinction on what was gonna come out in paper 1 or paper 2 - well, yeah right... then explain why in the last 5 years, all the paper 1 and paper 2 topics were the same? In that case, why do we even split the paper in 2?

Actually, news just arrived! (via email)

"Everyone is very concerned about what happened.

Dr. Galy is the senior examiner. The GSB booklet does not specify
division of material between papers. He was not aware that the GSA
booklet did specify a division. We are reviewing for the future.

Everyone is very sorry indeed about this morning, but the examiners will
take into account fully what happened.

I have talked to a number of students to reassure them.

We are checking that GSB is as stated in that booklet and I will confirm
tomorrow.

Please do not be anxious about this morning.

All good wishes,

Margaret


So amusing, i swear. And now I quote what was written in our "syllabus":

There are two theory papers, each of three hours duration. Each paper is divided into two sections of five questions. You have to do two questions from each section.

The sections approximately comprise: -

1A Hydrosphere, biogenic and chemical sediments
1B Palaeontology
2A Structure, tectonics
2B Clastics, basins


In any case, it's over now, and that's all that matters. I suppose if you look at the silver lining, that means I have to study less hard for my paper 2 this Saturday then.

---------------------------

Woke up with a sore throat. Must have been the close proximity during exams to other sick students. So horrible. Afternoon paper sucked.
Posted by yellowlemonie at 5:37 PM
1 Comments:
Blogger boonleong said...

Egad! That sounds really mean of the examiners.

11:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com