Saturday, May 23, 2009
Chapter 394 - Simi-Lan? Gamelan!
Esther and I went to the Esplanade yesterday to catch some of the FREE performances, as part of Esplanade's Flipside! Festival, which is also in conjunction with the Singapore Arts Festival. We watched this weird energetic Japanese guy do some "Rhythmic Painting" at the Esplanade Concourse, which was okay lah. I suppose it's not so hard to train yourself to paint while "dancing", though I think the way he operated his music jukebox thingy was pretty good. (He hangs this hi-fi stereo thingy around his neck, which is a sort of digital music player which he operates while painting. i want a box like that too. ;p)

After that (and some Or-luak), we went to the Outdoor Theatre to catch Rhythm in Bronze - this Gamelan ensemble (read more about: Gamelan) from Malaysia, which has purportedly taken Malaysia by storm. After their opening song, I was convinced by that claim. I enjoyed the songs they played as much as I enjoyed their showmanship, and they played tunes on their Gamelan instruments which I wished all Gamelan ensembles would do at weddings - a wonderful fusion of traditional Gamelan tunes with modern instruments. They play every night till Sunday night - do go catch it if you have the chance. Now I only wished they had a CD of their songs....

Labels:

Posted by yellowlemonie at 7:03 AM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com