Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Chapter 72 - Cambridge once more
A pious man explained to his followers:
It is evil to take lives and noble to save them. Each day I pledge to save a hundred lived. I drop my net in the lake and scoop out a hundred fishes. I place the fishes on the bank, where they flop and twirl. "Don't be scared," I tell those fishes. "I am saving you from drowning." Soon enough, the fishes grow calm and lie still. Yet, sad to say, I am always too late. The fishes expire. And because it is evil to waste anything, I take those dead fishes to market and I sell them for a good price. With the money i receive, I buy more nets so I can save more fishes. Anonymous


Extracted from the back of "Saving Fish from Drowning" by Amy Tan.

---------------------------------------------------

I bought FOUR books today from the Cambridge Market! =) As you can guess, one of the books was "Saving Fish from Drowning" by Amy Tan, and I also bought "Joy Luck Club", also by Amy Tan, Wordworth's "Prelude", and Paul Coelho's "Veronika Decides to Die". Feel so cultured. Haha.

Also, in the last two weeks, I read three books! Audrey Niffenegger's "The Time Traveller's Wife", Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" and Nick Hornby's "About a Boy". I think they were all really fanstastic reads. I kinda liked the real nice and sweetness of the two main characters in the book. There's so much love and chemistry oozing out from the text! Although I must say, I thought this chrono-impairment disease was real initially. =( Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" was really exciting and breathtaking, and kept me on the edge of my seat... although i must say it ended kinda ridiculously. ;p Hornby's "About a Boy" was just a book I thought i'd read since I really enjoyed the movie and plus the fact i can appreciate most of the places they were talking about in London & Cambridge now. =)

I now have quite a collection of books that I wonder how I'm gonna bring home. And it's only been 6 months. *frownz*

---------------------------------------------------

There was an audition in town today for the role of Lyra in the upcoming movie the Golden Compass! (Honestly, i have no idea what it was all about) But anyway, there was this REALLY long queue from the Guildhall snaking all the way to Top Shop, filled with anxious parents accompanying their daughter. I was wondering initially, "Wah, GCS? (Great Cambridge Sale?)", only to be quite disappointed. *grinz*

---------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, I'll be finishing up loads of CUMSA stuff and unpacking my room before hitting the books! And I'll be starting to blog about my field trips soon! =)
Posted by yellowlemonie at 1:56 PM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com