Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Chapter 131 - Singapore Dreaming
(Double-click on the image to start the teaser. And this teaser isn't quite what the movie is about btw...)

A impulse made me want to catch a movie today and I ended up watching Singapore Dreaming at Plaza Singapura....I did ask Yu Beng what he thought of the movie last week in KL and he did say he liked it. And I must say I really loved and enjoyed it... although I was REALLY ANNOYED by two ladies sitting in the row behind me, though not directly behind. They were talking and laughing through most parts of the show, even in the serious bits. I turned around and glared at them quite a few times, but i suppose glaring isn't the most effective in a dark cinema.

I really enjoyed the issues and themes explored in the movie, many of which I felt I could identify with. There were many subtle moments, that may invoke laughter as it did, but were definitely not as superficial as it seemed. For example, there was the consistent theme of mum's brewing of herbal tea through the show, but it was very cleverly used to bring out certain points that the writer/director was trying to bring out....

There were also moments during the movie that I cringed in irritation, but not because of lousy acting or directing (which i am all praise for), but because of the attitude of the characters, that you really just wanted to slap them in the face. And there were moments, that my eyes welled up in tears because you could really feel so much for the characters. And not to be missed is Yu Beng's two minute mandarin-speaking section which was hilarious.

I strongly recommend the Singapore Dreaming to everyone. It's definitely not one of the soppy TV series or one of your cliched Jack Neo shows. It's a film that we, as Singaporeans, should be really proud of... :)

Labels:

Posted by yellowlemonie at 4:17 PM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com