Monday, October 17, 2005
Chapter 19 - Lessons time!
Hmm.. I've had feedback that I'm not talking about any academic stuff... Haha.. Especially when I'm supposed to be studying... ;p Well, so here's abit about where my lessons/lectures/etc.

Basically, for my first year, I'm supposed to choose three experimental science subjects along with Maths.. And for me, I've chose to do:
1. Physics (No choice lah.. I'm supposed to teach Physics)
2. Geology (Which was why I applied to Cambridge in the first place really...)
3. Evolution & Behaviour (Now, this is quite an anomaly... Considering it doesn't help me in any of the 2nd year subjects that I'm taking... But I'm just taking it out of interests and I'm really enjoying it. *grinz*)

So how's lectures been? It's been good so far I must say... I get to learn interesting stuff... Like I learn about the different method of dating.. (woohoo! dating!) And also there's lots of sex in my lectures... I mean we had like one lecture devoted to "What is Sex?" I even have proof!

See? Lecture 2 : What is Sex? Haha.. And before you think of anything else, sex here refers to gender... ;p and the above-mentioned dating refers to geological dating of rocks. =) But still, they're really interesting.

Favourite subjects so far are Geology and Evolution & Behaviour.. Now here's a bio joke... We all know flamingoes are pink right? But do you know why they are pink? Well, most flamingoes live in Africa right? And in Africa, we've all seen in photos of the beautiful sun setting and sinking into the horizon, painting the sky a magnificent pink. Thus flamingoes, who are feeding in the lake evolved to turn pink as a form a camouflage to protect themselves from predation from lions, etc. Now, what happens if the lion was on the opposite side of the lake looking at the flamingoes? Well, the other side of the flamingo is actually blue. =) (ok, for those who're like what the hell? flamingoes are actually pink because of the shrimp they eat... and this is true!)

I've also had people wanting to know how advanced the Cambridge LTs are... so here it is:
This was I guess really advanced for the 70s... ;p I think it's not really clear in the picture, but the projector screen is not the "springy" type that we're used to, but is actually held by strings on both ends! And although I've not seen it being raised or lowered, I think it's pretty manual... ie. u untie the string, and pull... Now now... Talk about technological advances eh? And you also see, we're still stuck in the OHP era. And to think back in Singapore schools, it was actually hard to find a projector. I remember Pierre had to search high and low to borrow OHPs for Madama Butterfly... Next time I'll just ask Pierre to borrow from Cambridge. ;p

And this is just a nice little cafe really near to my lectures where I hang out at between my lectures if I can afford a coffee... =) It serves good coffee and have a good ambience at least... hehz. That's it for now... Hope everyone's doing great! Don't forget to tag!
Posted by yellowlemonie at 11:23 PM
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i'm majoring in development studies and we're gonna study geology soon. sounds like a good thing :)

5:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com