Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Chapter 224 - Moulding the Future of the Nation
I just watched Channel U's "Internship Challenge", which showcases 2 students doing their internships. This week, the students were from Early Childhood Education from Ngee Ann Poly and they did a 1 month attachment at the Little Skool-House International. I thought I really liked the programme - because you could really see the progress of the students learning to be teachers, very similar to what i'm doing right now. If there's a re-telecast, be sure to catch it.

And in case you haven't found out yet, I'm doing my school attachment at Dunman Secondary. Am currently "shadowing" (gosh, i feel like a stalker) the HOD, Maths around. Haven't actually got to do any classroom teaching, although I did do quite a bit of individual tutoring (because i've been following the Sec 4/5 classes and they're doing revision and preparing for the O levels), including a mini-"tuition" session for a student who asked for more help. Thus far, I must say it's been quite a fulfilling 7 days, although I must say a lot of what we're doing is self-directed, i.e. we have to initiate the classroom observations that we want to go for ourselves. Can't wait to start teaching - which I realise is not gonna be for another 2 years!!! *frownz*

Some things I bet they don't teach you in NIE
1. During morning assembly, if it's in the car park and you have to stand in front of a car, be sure to check that the car isn't radiating too much heat, otherwise, you might roast in a slow and painful fashion during the announcements.

2. Make sure you don't drink coffee right before class. I did that during recess one day and went into class. And then one of the students told me, "(tea-)cher [teacher has now been abbreviated to "cher". i suppose spelling it out, it's kind of an endearment term eh? like mon CHER-ie. ;p], you drink coffee ah?" I suppose the coffee breath gave it away. So now I carry mints in my pocket. muahaha...

3. Apparently, if your school has a red tie for teachers, which we wear on Monday together with all the students (who wear a maroon tie), a white shirt seems to be the preferred choice of coloured shirts on that day. I went into Mr Kang's class to observe only to have the students burst into laughter when they saw the both of us in our white shirts and red ties ("cher, you all brothers ah?"). And it didn't help when the next teacher who walked by the classroom and then the vice-principal, also wore a white shirt with a red tie. I bet they were wondering why the whole class was hysterical when they went by. Mr Kang took off his tie soon after.... ;p

4. Any female teacher you're seen walking with is probably your girlfriend - if only it was that easy... haha

I'm also supposed to have a project to complete - How to apply "Teach Less, Learn More" to Maths... ideas anyone?
------------------------------------

Labels: ,

Posted by yellowlemonie at 3:03 PM
8 Comments:
Blogger boonleong said...

How come you're in school and not HQ?

7:46 PM

 
Blogger Gerald said...

I had the same project title last year too and did a Maths Trail with the kids. The topic was trigonometry and they ran around the school measuring shadows and things like that. I had to run around the school for 50 minutes chasing them to the next station and checking that they're not loitering around. Worst thing is the HOD was there to supervise the whole lesson, so I had to beg the students to be guai for the lesson. I do hope they still remember TOA CAH SOH after all these while.

10:52 PM

 
Blogger louist said...

so who's your 'girlfriend'? chio or not? =P

11:32 AM

 
Blogger yellowlemonie said...

boonleong: cos it's a school attachment, not an HQ attachment... ;p if i'm on the merit scholarships then i'd have done my school attachment last year...

gerald: yeah, we had a maths trail outside school yesterday, although done by a company i used to work with. But we have a few ideas and suggestions i think... :)

louis: urm. hmm. *confidential* haha...

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

wahaha!! ur posts are damn funny man! instantly brought me back to the days of relief teaching. oh btw, the last pt on teach less, learn more. that is really hard!

3:09 PM

 
Blogger yellowlemonie said...

hey royce! enjoying your time in the US? glad to know there's at least one person who enjoy reading my ramblings... :) have fun and cya next year!

3:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i finally have time to read your blog! =b welcome home! dunman sec was my mom's and elder bro's sch!

12:40 PM

 
Blogger yellowlemonie said...

oh really? but who is this anonymous anyway?? so mysterious... ;p

12:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com