Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Chapter 232 - Campers Oi!
Wah, Channel U actually has some decent shows. A couple of weeks back, I wrote about this Internship Challenge and this time it's U-turn - a programme about once delinquents who have changed for the better. As an educator, it's an issue close to my heart, and also because I know of people who have gone through similar experiences.

------------------------------------
Lame Joke: Did you know that beatboxing was invented by Qin2 Shi3 Wang2? (have to explain this in person... ;p)

------------------------------------
Leadership Camp - ITE College East - 27-29 Jul 07

my first camp in TWO whole years. rusty liaoz wor. haha. Somemore the last few camps I did 2 years ago was as AIC/Runner and not as instructor. But all went well in the end. Interestingly, my group chose the name "Victorians" (since it was a leadership camp) - which reminds me that I should go visit VJ sometime soon, except i really dunno when I have the time to, sadly.... :(

In any case, it was an awesome and enjoyable camp
Station Games - Zig Zag - Not very helpful when it rained on us one the first day....

At the end of Day 2, which incidentally was one of my group member, Jing Wen's birthday, so we all got to eat some yummy chocolate cake from Bengawan Solo... And also sing Happy Birthday in 4 different languages (we CMI for the tamil version, so had to "la" along instead... ;p)

Final shot before we left the campsite and make the very long journey back to the school, during which about a million lame jokes were cracked.

Then just when I taught I was done for the year (hur hur), Ridhuan called me at 8pm that very night we ended the camp and asked if I could do a camp the next morning.... Me being the nice Kenny that I am, said I would do the first day of the camp, which on hind sight was a decision not to regret, cos I forgot how enjoyable primary school camps can be (that is if we don't take into account ALL the rascals running around and misbehaving...)
------------------------------------
"Camp Inspired" - Chongfu Primary - 30 Jul - 1 Aug 07

The reason why I couldn't do this camp for all 3d2n was because I promised to go back to do relief teaching in Dunman for the 2nd and 3rd day of the camp - although 1 day is already really tiring, cos most of the time was spent doing crowd control. The hardest bit was when we were doing the bloody high elements. While I was belaying my group members, I had to watch out for my belay team ("OI, put on the helmet properly!" ; "Spotter put your hands up!") and making sure my group was behaving ("Stop playing with the pebbles or I'll make you count every single one of them!"; "Move away from me!") Yes, it was incredibly draining.

[edit] Also, I realised how old i was when I was doing the camp. The kids were only 11 years old, and I was TWICE their age PLUS ONE somemore..... haiz haiz haiz... depressing hor... [/edit]

Then when I said I was gonna leave at the end of the first day, they were so sweet - "Instructor, why are you going off?" ; "huh, instructor Kenny, you're not coming back?". So even though another instructor was gonna take over for Day 2, I decided to go back for the campfire. I haven't said this yet, but the campsite is at Jalan Bahtera, which for your info is right is DAMN ULU - it's at the end of Lim Chu Kang, opposite the Serimbun Scouts Camp. If I took a cab from the campsite home, it'd cost me about $25. (!!)

It was so nice to be back and see all the cheerful and happy faces of my group members... And so proud of their campfire item (which I wasn't involved in the putting together, cos i wasn't around.. muahaha). They also tried to sabo me lor... When Ridhuan asked for instructors who can dance/shake their butts/body v well, they started chanting my name, without me initiating... Lucky two other instructors already got voluteered by Ridhuan.

(from L to R, front row) Wan Xin, Jean, Shermaine, Alina, Elene, Zi Wei (back row) Derrick, Yuan Hao, Ryan, Handsome! (the one in red..) This is not my full group in case you're wondering, cos some of them went off to bed already...

I also didn't mention that my group name for this camp was "Team Flying Kenny". While trying to come up with a name, which I gave numerous suggestions, they decided that they wanted my name... so cute... Not that we got to use the name v much though.. haha. And then when we were playing Icebreakers, which I played "Ouch, orh-bee-orh-bee" with them, they also sabo me by calling the person beside me many times, so much so that I have a big blue-black on my thigh now... (yes, primary school kids can be vicious...)

Finally, my mirror/partner group - with Instructor Rui Long.... :)

Haiz, so sad. Post-camp depression!

Stay tuned for the next post on my relief teaching/school attachment @ Dunman Sec!

Labels:

Posted by yellowlemonie at 1:05 PM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com