Friday, April 25, 2008
Chapter 323 - Oslo, Norway
Photos from Norway! Some of you might have already seen it up on Facebook, but at least you'll get the full commentary this time. (nearly).

It seems I don't ever seem to start my trips on very good notes - I was drunk slightly less sober than usual on my December trip, and this time, I was slightly less awake starting on Norway, having been packing till 2am, and then catching a bus at 7.30am. Well, at the time I booked my flight, 9.30am kinda seemed like a reasonable time - except when you factor in the check-in plus travel time...

Anyhow, day 1 in Oslo started with me trying to find a hostel - thank goodness there was ONE space at Anker hostel - which btw, is pretty much the ONLY hostel in the middle of Oslo. The others are all kinda far away. After sorting that out, I set out to explore the city, and my first stop was the Royal Palace.

I hadn't known or checked out anything on it (many thanks to my Lonely Planet guide arriving only the day before), so I wasn't really expecting much. But by some stroke of luck, I managed to get there in time to watch some guards parade - it wasn't the change of guards parade though, because that happens at 1.30pm, and I was there just before 2pm. I must say though that the drills were kinda rubbish - in the words of the sergeant majors back home - the drills were "HORRIBLE!", "like bird shit falling to the ground." & "my grandmother can do better than that!"

And honestly, I don't really see the point of it as well. Here're the photos anyway.

The bugle which they brought out, but never used. And their helmets! Such annoying feathers they had, which kept getting blown onto their faces. They'd die of itch/tickle if they were to do NDP man...

The marching contingent. Another of the unwarranted, superfluous part of the "ceremony". I think they just marched to the end of the drive and back. But of course, it gives me an opportunity to take photos, so I shan't complain. ;p

The officer marches by. If only the officer was just slightly more to the right, we'd be able to see the soldier in the background saluting with the gun.

Barren trees. Spring doesn't arrive in Norway till late April.

At the pier where you could get fresh seafood straight from the boats. I'm not sure how fresh it really was though, cos there didn't seem to be too much business.

Boats moored at the pier.

A sea gull takes a break from the gusty winds. This should be a juvenile Great Black-Backed Gull. (or just a juvenile common gull. the former sounds more impressive though, so i'm sticking with that.)

Labels: ,

Posted by yellowlemonie at 11:08 AM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com