Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Chapter 159 - What Good is Sitting Alone in Your Room?
"What good is sitting alone in your room.."

"Life is a Cabaret...."


So I went to watch Cabaret at West End yesterday, the one with a 4-star review from The Guardian, straight from Broadway. How was it you might ask, compared to the Singapore one? (I imagine Pierre is waiting with bated breath to know the verdict)

Well, I must say I was somewhat disappointed, but don't take my word for it, 'cos I went with different expectations, and I think most people who watched the show did enjoy it. Maybe I should just give a teaser for those intending to watch the show - There are penises and breasts flying all over stage (at least for the first half, and real ones btw)... ;p

1. I can almost hum the entire Broadway recording of Cabaret by heart now having had to listen to it a million times during rehearsals, so I went expecting to hear the same music. But apparently, the arrangement was somewhat different from the Original Broadway arrangement. Whether it is different in a better or worse way, I have yet to decide.

2. I thought the actor's singing wasn't too fantastic. But that was probably cos when I watched yesterday, the singers were the understudy (for Sally Bowles and the emcee). I know for sure that the emcee couldn't quite hit the tempo for the Money Song (although most other people won't have noticed this). The ushers in the theatre were also discussing amongst themselves about which was better - the understudy or the original singer. I caught bits of "not rehearsed" and "too sweet" from them, but can't quite paint a clear picture of what they were saying.

3. The understudy Sally Bowles was a little too sweet for her role. Sally Bowles is supposed to be a wild, and somewhat crazy character, and this Sally Bowles was just too sweet. If anyone knows Avril from TNS, she reminds me of Avril.

But having said that, I thought the staging was somewhat cool, and choreography was quite exciting (although because I prefer Zaini's choreography). I know Sean, who watched the show with me, enjoyed all the ladies in skimpy (and sometimes non-existent) costumes prancing on the stage. :)

I think I'd like to watch again with the actual singers performing.... hehe.... ;p

Labels: ,

Posted by yellowlemonie at 10:26 PM
2 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Hahahaha

There's a reason why understudies are 'understudies' :)

Don't waste ur money tho' - go catch other shows!

3:40 AM

 
Blogger yellowlemonie said...

but it's hard to know whether or not it's the understudy unless you went straight to the box office, cos they don't put it online too.. :(

10:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com