Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Chapter 164 - The Bridge at Cam
I'm back in Cambridge. I don't think i've yet to post a picture of my room this year, which I've just done some rearrangement for this term. Here's how it looks like:

Decided to go for the cosiness feeling rather than "more space". Quite satisfied with it I must say. :)

--------------------
OCD

I was staying at Allan's flat for the last week, before I got back to Cambridge and at his flat, that's this tangle of network cables that run along the corridor outside their rooms. It's bothered me for quite a few days when I arrived, not so much because it disrupts my movement along the corridor, but more so because if there was to be such a tangle of cables in the theatre, I know the SM or someone will definitely ask for it to be tidied up. I can almost imagine Joyah's disagreeable look when she sees the cable and she will say, "Aiyo, how come got so many cables on the floor one?", then of course someone like Kenny will tidy it up lah, which I did eventually do on Saturday, which Allan will say is cos of the OCD-ness in me. ;p

---------------------
Of books and shopping

I left for my travels on the 3rd of Dec with 3 and a half books in my backpack and I came back with many more. I brought:

1.We Need to Talk about Kevin
by Lionel Shriver

It's a book which many people find depressing to read. I must admit I FORCED MYSELF to get through the first half of the book, but I must also say that once you get through that much of the book, the going gets a lot easier, and in fact, it becomes a page turner as the plot starts to twist and turn. At the end, I find myself very saddened by what was said. You have to read it to find out, otherwise it will be a complete spoiler.

2.War of the Worlds
by HG Wells

After having watched the movie, I bought the book and finally had the chance to read it. While I must say the Hollywood version of the book has twisted the storyline, I must say the movie has done well to preserve the main parts of the story. But the most amazing thing I found about the book was that it was so ahead of its time. The book was written in the early 1900 before very advanced technology was founded, and if you read the stuff that it talks about, it certainly was what would be deemed as radical.

3.Eleven Minutes
by Paulo Coelho

In case you're wondering, the eleven minutes here refers to the actual time that people actually engage in "sex". It talks about this lady who becomes a prostitute and how she finds her purpose in life. Very Paulo Coelho.

4.Life - Quotes
by Paulo Coelho

I say this is only half a book because it really isn't a book. It's just a collection of quotes from Paulo Coelho's books, that serves as a sort of chicken soup for the soul, although I must admit, I didn't need very much of those during my trip. The experiences in itself was more chicken soup than I can have hoped for.

AND THEN, I managed to buy another 3 4 more books.

5.History of Love
by Nicole Krauss

This book has BEAUTIFUL language and I mean it. It's a really light and lovely read. I quote my favourite paragraph from the book (don't worry, it's not a spoiler)

Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering. When they were ten he asked her to marry him. When they were eleven he kissed her for the first time. When they were thirteen they got into a fight and for three weeks they didn't talk. When they were fifteen she showed him the scar on her left breast. Their love was a secret they told no one. He promised her he would never love another girl as long as he lived. What if I die? she asked. Even then, he said. For her sixteenth birthday he gave her an English disctionary and together they learned the words. What's this? he'd ask, tracing his index finger around her ankle, and she'd look it up. And this? he'd ask, kissing her elbow. Elbow! What kind of word is that? and then he'd lick it, making her giggle. What about this? he asked, touching the soft skin behind her ear. I don't know, she said, turning off the flashlight and rolling over, with a sigh, onto her back. When they were seventeen they made love for the first time, on a bed of straw in a shed. Later - when things happened that they could never have imagined - she wrote him a letter that said: When will you learn that there isn't a word for everything?


It's become one of my favourite books now.

6.Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
by Lisa See

Haven't finished the book yet so can't say much about it yet... ;p

7.MARY POPPINS!
by PL Travers

Yupz. I've not read this book before. And having watched the musical, i bought this book to read. I must say, the disney movie in the 60s was more closely related to the book, although I think the musical does justice to the character Mary Poppins a lot more.

(edit)8.For one more day
by Mitch Albom

If you've read and liked Tuesdays with Morrie or the Five People You Meet in Heaven, then you will probably like this book, although this isn't quite as philosophical as the two books afore mentioned. But it's still a refreshing read nonetheless. (And what a shame I missed this book out when I first wrote this post!)

That's kinda a whole summary. I applaud your stamina and patience for having reached this point of my post. :)
Posted by yellowlemonie at 11:39 PM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com