Thursday, January 24, 2008
Chapter 281 - How cool?
I'm working on this Physics experiment right now.. And it's damn cool! Literally that is. How cool exactly? 4.2K to be exact. That's 4.2 Kelvin - which for your information is 4.2 degrees above absolute zero, about 270 degrees colder than ice. It's otherwise not a very exciting experiment, though we get to play with liquid helium (4.2K) and liquid nitrogen (~70K) like they're water.. It'll be another week of staying in the lab before I start to churn out my lab report though. :(

(ps. i'll try and take photos of the experimental set up tomorrow... ;p)

I seem to have neglected my travelogues for quite some time though, so I shall continue from where I left off, which was the end of our first day in Goreme.

------------------
Day 5 - 5 Dec 07 - Goreme

We decided to pay YTL 50 for a tour which they called the "Red Tour" (although it was a japanese lady at the hostel telling us about it, and we all know the japanese language doesn't have an R sound, so it was more like the "Led Tour" ;p), cos it'd actually cost us more to hire transport to go to all these places.

Our first stop was the underground city - Yaralti Sehri, which was quite interesting I guess, a 8-storey deep underground city, which is presumably linked by some secret tunnels to the other (underground) cities in the area. It didn't appeal to me personally though, cos I guess I'm more a sucker for natural beauty.... =)

Inside the underground city.. There was some tunnels which was quite small and required us to bend over to get through - being short has its advantages...

After that was a track through Ihlara Valley, which I'd described in my little black book as my idea of the Grand Canyon, with more greenery... It was really pretty though, the valley flanked by sheer cliffs on both sides with a river running through it.

Kenny on The Rocks.

The river that runs through the valley.

After a 2-km trek through the valley, we were rewarded with delicious lunch waiting for us, though we paid to pay for our own VERY EXPENSIVE pepsi (YTL 3!!) - what a rip-off.

Our last major stop of the day was at Selime Cathedral, which we arrived after driving through what was known as the "Star Wars" terrain, rumoured to be very similar to that you saw in Star Wars (though of course, it's probably all CGI in Star Wars).



I guess the most interesting thing about the tour was actually the random mix of nationalities we had, but predominantly Asian though - we had 2 taiwanese, 2 japanese, 2 koreans (the 2 koreans & japanese actually didn't know each other before the trip), 2 singaporeans (us), 1 kiwi and 3 turks I think. It was really nice and friendly cos we had the opportunity to interact with each other on the minibus, during the trek, and during lunch.

That pretty much sums up our tour of Cappadocia and stay tuned for our adventures in Malatya!

Labels: ,

Posted by yellowlemonie at 11:31 PM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com