Saturday, September 19, 2009
Chapter 404 - Getai with a message
Last night, for the first time in many years, I went to catch a "getai" at Lorong Lew Lian (even the location sounds so heartland-ish). Anyway, since I've watched 881 2-3 years back, I've been wanting to go catch one, but given that it's a "seasonal" entertainment, if you miss it one year, you'd have to wait another 12 months to catch one. If you're wondering what a getai, I'd suggest you check out the wiki description of a Getai. It's something which I think is Uniquely Singapore - and given the recent saga of food copyrights with Malaysia, I think we should lay stake and apply for copyright protection for the getai scene. ;p

So anyway, last night's getai was amusing to me, cos it was a Getai with a message, which I guess you could liken to product placements in a movie. The getai was sponsored (partly i think) by NCPG, which stands for National Council of Problem Gambling. The name itself sounds like a movie rating though (NC16 + PG?), so a number of the audience members were fanning themselves with a NCPG paper fan (printed in patriotic red and white), and the hosts on stage were hawking the messages from NCPG, somewhat different to what a normal getai would be.

If you're looking to find out where and when the next Getai would be, I bet you didn't know that you could find it on the Stomp website. Amusingly (again), it was my uncle who told me about it. Check it out at Getai A-go-go and click on Getai schedule.....

Labels: ,

Posted by yellowlemonie at 9:47 AM
0 Comments:
eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com