Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Chapter 97 - Tribute to Royston Tan
I dedicate this post to Singaporean Film-maker Royston Tan.
I just finished watching "15" by Royston Tan on DVD (original one btw... so hard to find...). There's something about the show that I could connect to somehow and understand. Perhaps, at some point in my life, we all go through such a phase. Maybe not. There's something about the rawness and non-actedness of 15 that really struck me.

(This is from the director's commentary) Although "15" has been to so many countries around the world, only in San Francisco did no one walk out of the show, which convinced Royston that the SF audience was "shock proof". I too thought I would be shock proof or resistant at least, but i was not to be. Many a scene, I simply couldn't bare to watch... It is SO VIVID. vivid in a way that you know this is not a Hollywood blockbuster where you have stuntsman and visual effects. Vivid because everything is in some ways real. Really.

I also thought the ending was quite poignant and I was moved. Although I can't say that there is a general "storyline" througout the movie. But what I think the ending really wanted to say was that, deep down inside these "gangsters" and "hooligans" we perceive, they are really just an 15-year-old...

If you have not watched 15 yet, I urge you to. I almost caught it at some film festival in Singapore before I came over, except noone else seemed to be interested. Managed to catch Mee Pok Man (not the Mr Brown one.. ;p) instead. Of course, I will be bringing the DVD home too, so anyone interested, can look for me.

I salute Royston Tan for having done such a wonderful job. :)
Posted by yellowlemonie at 11:49 PM
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i watched it last semester with a handful of my housemates and found it extremely hard to swallow...in the end, i felt a sense of deep sadness that teenagers who lack guidance tend to sway towards such situations. it gives me the chills that some do truly live such lives. Yes, indeed, Royston has portrayed it well. raw and shocking.

4:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

eXTReMe Tracker
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com